Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, 14 September 2014

Calvin Klein ss/15. NYFW *

| | 0 comments

Kate Moss, Jeans, Underwear, The 90's-
 these are amongst the few most common symbols of the brand, and so, you could imagine how surprised I was to see that there was no particular emphasis on any of the listed elements in this season's collection.
Admittedly, I never really look to Calvin Klein for inspiration, as I never feel that they have the "force you to look twice" factor that I find oh so appealing. However, this season really caught my eye, and I'm still struggling to work out why.
After too much time spent contemplating, I've made the following short list:
1) there was simply more press and blogger and social media coverage, which made the show unavoidable. 
2) my personal tastes are more enticed by Calvin Klein, as of late.
Or
3) the brand has managed to create an exquisite collection this season, which has drawn in a whole new audience, of which I am part of. 

Either way- what a captivating and wearable, buyable collection.

The key pieces and aspects that caught my eye were:

The shoes

The perfect amalgamation of minimalism and statement. Everything from the height, to the comforting platform. The selection of monochromic colours and the little metallic and Perspex accents add a moderate unconventional touch to the creation. Something tells me that they will be a huge sellout, and a great inspiration to the high street stores. How can one deny one'a love for these- the temptation to order a pair of each kind is synod imaginable.


The Texture

Leather and Mesh are not often seen together, but, this collection has me asking "why?". Calvin Klein has taken a sporty, everyday, less sleazy and more current approach to "leather and lace", bringing a new wave of texture mixing. This lightweight combination creates the light effect of layering, carried through to the summer months.


The Colour Palette

It was the colour palette that made this a 'capsule' collection. Versatile and interchangeable. The shades of navy and bold red enticed and coaxed monochomic-freaks like myself out of our white-washed caves. I found the idea of classically 'trashy' Americana colours being transformed into shapes and silhouettes that boasted the classical-chic elements of your average Parisian collection. Clever, simple, but never to be overlooked- something I never thought that I'd like.
 The Silhouette 


I feel as if three of the most flattering elements came together in this look:
Tall shoes, flowing fabrics and thin waist-cinching belts.
Of course, the models never fail to look beautiful, but this silhouette automatically elongates the legs and slims the waist, in a flattering manner. The coats play on proportion, and the mesh creates a "false-length" - lengthening the garment without covering too much skin, which keeps the look demure yet fresh.  



The Faces
The reason why I think that so many high street stores will draw inspiration from this collection is because it was presented as a "wearable" take on high end fashion. The makeup doesn't seem to be compromising for anything, and having the hair slicked back adds to the modern twist on elegance. Everything is muted, down-played and fresh, which is just what everyone can appreciate in the warmer months.

Collectively, I believe that this collection is one that I'll keep re-visiting and referring to.
A great success by Calvin Klein, in my opinion!

Ciao for now-

R x


*credit to the rightful owners of the photographs. x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance